Many times in business we try to make things overly complex. When it comes to business continuity planning and disaster recovery strategy, this is very true. The fact is, it’s not just your data you have to protect, it’s also your people and your workplace.
We have come up with some very simple strategies your business can do now to help prepare for any disaster. These are some of most overlooked items;
- Fire extinguishers – they must be inspected annually in many parts of the country. The local fire department usually takes care of this as part of their inspection routine, however it is your responsibility to make sure they are in working order. We have found some great tips on how you can maintain your fire extinguishers.
- Have the company participate in First Aid and CPR training – Everyone should understand basic CPR. Research who offers CPR training and schedule a class for your company.
- Have an AED (Automated External Defibrillation) unit available and make sure your staff is trained. Many companies will offer the AED and CPR training together.
- Keep your first aid kit stocked –remember that some things in there expire and once in a while someone takes something from the first aid kit. Make it a monthly routine to ensure your first aid kits are fully stocked. What should be in your first aid kit? Click here to find out.
- Test your emergency alert system – Do you have one? If yes, when did you test it? Create a phone tree and ensure you have the current home numbers, cell phones and other important contact details for everyone in the firm and test your emergency alert system to ensure everyone knows what to do when a real life situation arises.
- Practice your evacuation plan – Do you remember when you were in school and you had fire drills? When was the last time you had a fire drill in your office? Practice your evacuation plan at a minimum of once every six months. It takes an hour and can save a co-workers life.
These are just some basic tips that you can do now to help with your disaster recovery and business continuity planning. Did you know we can help your business prepare? Contact our Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity consultants today and learn more about how our team can help you prepare and ensure everything is properly protected.
“Your Professionalism with this situation at the Zero hour is definitely a rarity. Your team’s response was to take on a project that you had no prior knowledge of other than a customer was in a tight spot and needed assistance.”